Unfortunately our little man has had a rough first couple of weeks. First, he had really bad jaundice and had to be on the bilirubin lights for 9 days. This wasn't too bad, but we barely got to hold him and the nurse had to come to our house each day and take his blood which is always sad. Then, on Wednesday when we were getting ready for bed we noticed Greyson had blood in his stool. Our pediatrician told us to bring him to the ER where we waited for 11 hours through the night until they finally admitted us. It turns out Greyson has a milk allergy. They put him on a special (and really expensive) formula and he's doing better. The doctor said I can try to breastfeed again, but not for 2 weeks because I have to eliminate all dairy and soy from my diet. That might not seem too hard, but trust me it is! We'll give it a try though. I'd rather be able to nurse him than feed him that expensive, stinky formula!
While we were at the hospital, they put us in the pediatric cancer wing because Greyson is so young and they didn't want him near any contagious kids. Before we knew what was wrong with Greyson I just couldn't help but feel so bad for the parents and families with terminally sick children. My heart really went out to them. If all Greyson has is a milk allergy, then I feel blessed.
I know this is random, but since we happened to be in the cancer wing we had some unexpected visitors - Esme, Carlile, Rosalie and Emmet from the Twilight movies. They were visiting the kids and teenagers and stopped by our room. It was actually a nice break from everything else we were going through. They were sooo nice and seemed genuinely interested in us and actually spent 10 minutes talking with us. Before they left they gave me an autographed book from Stephenie Meyer. Kinda cool.
Sunday, December 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
you're had a lot of twilight run ins lately. and caroline had the same thing when she was a baby, so i know how much the no diary thing stinks! luckily she grew out of it. good for you for still nursing, b/c that formula really does STINK!
You guys are really having a lot of fun Twilight sightings! Good for the cast for doing something good with their extra time! I hope that your little man out grows his milk allergy soon enough...I don't think I would be able to handle life without dairy.
Sad about Greyson. I am glad you caught it so quick. You can cut those out. Who needs dairy. Hang in there.
wow 11 hours at the hospital before they admitted you? bummer!! The milk allergy does not sound like fun at all and that is pretty cool that you met the twilight cast!
OH my goodness!!! Jared told us what had been going on with yall today. I've been thinking about you and wanted to call... Sounds like I shoulda acted on that prompting. Hope you get to breastfeed! Crazy! Please call me if you need anything :) Our little man should be here soon!
That would be so hard to eliminate dairy from your diet. I've had dairy at each meal today! Poor Greyson! Awesome that you met the Twilight cast. That is so cool!
Oh sweet baby! I love the picture of him in the Santa hat! I hope he's feeling better soon. I'm feeling for you, cutting out dairy will be rough! Let's hope the allergy goes away! That's way awesome that you got to meet the Twilight cast!
Oh Amanda!! Milk allergies are awful. SO glad you caught it early on though. Greyson must be a trooper. And that formula is disgusting...and so darn expensive....I think we paid $50 per can.
Post a Comment